A great segment aired earlier this year on 60 Minutes that talked about the ongoing charity health work performed by Mercy Ships. In particular there is a 500-foot ship that travels along the west coast of Africa providing medical services to some of the poorest countries in the world.
Some interesting facts about the Africa Mercy:
- 450 active crew members
- Crew members get married, have children and raise them on board
- Cataract surgeries give eyesight to patients that have been blind for decades
- Some staff have been on board for 25+ years
- The medical staff actually pay for the privilege of serving this community
- The program is supported by corporate sponsors and religious organizations